aptitude vs apt-get (was ... Re: mount cdrom?)

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:05:55AM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> I recommend using aptitude for everything. It replaces apt-get and
> apt-cache, ...

root@tal:~# dpkg -S /usr/bin/apt-get
apt: /usr/bin/apt-get

root@tal:~# apt-cache policy aptitude
aptitude:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.6.8.1-2
  Version table:
      0.6.8.1-2 0
         990 http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages

IOW, I can easily remove aptitude, I wouldn't like to try forcefully
removing apt.

> aptitude search chess

Mmmm, :)

> Aptitude is the officially recommended tool for command line package
> management, replacing apt-get.

Where does it say that? If you are talking about the release notes, then
that seems to vary from release to release and generally refers to which
tool does the best job of upgrading from one release to the next without
too many problems.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X