Re: Install Debian on a UEFI-motherboard ?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 09:10:56PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 17:29 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > Tom Rausner wrote:
> > >Hi Folks.
> > >I have a tower PC with a serious motherboard problem.
> > >It is unable to pass data from one place (say the harddisk)
> > >to another (say a CDROM), without drowning it in errors.
> > >I think some pathways in the motherboard is broken, so I want to
> > >replace it. BUT most of the motherboards on the market doesn't
> > >have an old-style BIOS, they've got the UEFI-thing. So the question
> > >is; can I replace my motherboard with one infested with the UEFI-thing
> > >and get a Debian install to work on it ?
> >
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I know we're a few weeks on from when you asked, but...
> >
> > As of today, we now have official debian-installer test CDs that
> > should work for installing on UEFI systems. See
> >
> >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/10/msg00007.html
> >
> > for more details about the release.
>
> Can't UEFI be disabled on most mobos?

Yes, but why would you want to? On plenty of SATA-carrying motherboards,
the controller can be switched from native AHCI to an IDE emulation.
Similarly, other features of other motherboards can be switched off as
desired. But if you have the newer, advanced features it's nice to have
an operating system that exploits them.