Re: Install Debian on a UEFI-motherboard ?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
Tom Rausner wrote:
>Hi Folks.
>I have a tower PC with a serious motherboard problem.
>It is unable to pass data from one place (say the harddisk)
>to another (say a CDROM), without drowning it in errors.
>I think some pathways in the motherboard is broken, so I want to
>replace it. BUT most of the motherboards on the market doesn't
>have an old-style BIOS, they've got the UEFI-thing. So the question
>is; can I replace my motherboard with one infested with the UEFI-thing
>and get a Debian install to work on it ?

Hi Tom,

While initially installing debian, I did locate some helpful tutorials from www.linuxbsdos.com .

Although I do not have UEFI firmware, and you may not be installing debian in a dual-boot setup (like I did), the links below describe installing Ubuntu and Windows in a dual-boot configuration on motherboards that utilize UEFI firmware.

He mentions that other distros can be used in place of Ubuntu as I kindly asked about my debian install. He also has debian related articles.

There is some good information on UEFI that may be helpful to your installation.

You can ask a question to the author (name: finid) at the bottom of the page in the links listed below.

Dual-Boot using UEFI firmware and One Hard Drive:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/10/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-12-04-on-a-pc-with-uefi-hardware/

Dual Boot Using UEFI firmware and Two Hard Drives:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/10/10/dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-12-04-on-a-pc-with-uefi-board-ssd-and-hdd/

Home page:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/

Additional links in regards to debian