Re: Reason to NOT install from online repositories

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 03:50:02 +0200
"Stephen J. Mazurek" <steve.mazurek@gmail.com> wrote:

> I expect  to return to Linux very soon (not Debian, but Aptosid, since it's more
up to date.)

Kubuntu Ubuntu it's all Debian to me. Debian Invictus as it were. If you want
up-to-date do the beta2 7.0 install and set up your /etc/apt/apt.conf like so:

APT::Default-Release "unstable";
Build-Essential "build-essential";

Ignore-Hold "false";
Clean-Installed "true";
Immediate-Configure "true";      // DO NOT turn this off, see the man page
Force-LoopBreak "false";         // DO NOT turn this on, see the man page
Cache-Start "20971520";
Cache-Grow "1048576";
Cache-Limit "0";
Default-Release "";

Install-Recommends "true";
Install-Suggests "false";

and your /etc/apt/preferences to:

Package: debian-reference-en
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: debian-reference-common
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: (if you wanted to pin a particular package for special attention)
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: (the same package to walk on the wild side)
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 900

This is where up-to-date is at. One last thing if you're feeling really adventurous
albeit suicidal change all the 'unstable' places to 'experimental' and if your
system still works you'll be beyond up-to-date.

--
CK