Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Sunday 14 October 2012 00:41:46 Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> *******SUCCESS********
> *******SUCCESS********
> Debian Squeeze installed successfully !

\0/ :-))

> The dual-boot did not work but I can boot into either Win2k or Debian
> simply by changing the boot order in the BIOS (hdd-0  or  hdd-1). When
> I set Debian (hdd-1) as 1st boot device I do receive a menu that asks
> which OS I would like to boot but Win2k (hdd-0) is not offered as a
> choice. Its missing.
>
> The only choices presented are Debian Squeeze and Debian Recovery. I
> guess the fact that I did not put GRUB on the win2k drive (hdd-0) is
> probably why win2k is not offered as an optional OS to boot. However,
> based on the suggestions from the helpful replies I have received and
> reading the online tutorials, everyone has suggested the same thing,
> "Don't put Grub on the windows drive". That is good enough advice for
> me! Who knows what could have happened!

You can ask GRUB to search for other OSs.  I'll leave it to someone who
actually knows about GRUB 2 to tell you how.  I still prefer GRUB 1, but the
change was necessary.

> I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
> boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
> out of the computer. :)

:-)  Quite!!

> Now I can finally join the ranks of Debian users and ask operational
> questions, help others and start the real uphill climb in learning all
> aspects of linux. A lot more reading and studying for sure - forever.
>
> :)  Right off the bat I've encountered the following 'oddities'.
> 3) Google gmail locks up when I visit the page to check my mail.

Which browser?

> I kindly thank all who have endured and answered my questions from the
> beginning to end.The advice given on this mailing list is superb!

You're very welcome!  And yes, it is.  We have some real experts here.

Lisi