Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Sat 13 Oct 2012 at 14:28:42 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> In my case, if I tell the Debian installer to place the GRUB
> boot-loader into   (hdd1,1)  or  /dev/sdb, will it place the GRUB
> boot-loader in the  '/' (root partition) due to the fact that its
> listed FIRST in the 'Review Partition Layout' screen?

(hd1,1) is not the same as /dev/sdb. Part of GRUB will go in the first
partition, not in the embedding area of the disk, You will likely get a
warning message but can go ahead and do it. Many people have and they
report no ill effects. I would go for /dev/sdb.

GRUB always, always, always puts its image files under /boot, unless it
is told otherwise. You have a directory /boot. It has its own partition.
That partition could be anywhere on the disk. First, last or in the
middle. GRUB couldn't care less. It will look for /boot.

You did not need /boot on its own partition to begin with and are
needlessly complicating things by focussing on it.