Re: Adding user to dual boot laptop

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:03:04 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2012-10-11, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> How about user home directory and other user file permissions
> >> (which shouldn't belong to root)?
> >>

> > That has been checked out and is all OK. The alt F2 to kdesu did
> > allow
>
> Have you told us the tool with which you created the new user?  It's
> not clear to me the canonical way of doing it, actually, googling
> around. But appears to be (as root):
>
> adduser wife

On Debian, yes. It calls useradd, which is available in most/all
Linuxes.

> After which you must add the new user to the appropriate groups (or is
> that done automatically)?

It does add quite a few, but not necessarily all of interest. I believe
it does add the audio group, failure of which is the cause of some
problems with lack of sound. Exactly what is does is configurable.

--
Joe