Re: Several Installation Problems

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:30:17AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I have just converted my 64 bit Linux computer to Debian 6.0.5/KDE
> 4.4.5 (retaining the Gnome desktop) and have several problems with
> which I really need help. Although i have been using Linux since
> about 1993, I am neither a software nor hardware person, but rather
> a user.  Hence, I would ask the readers forbearance.

Not a problem. Many people who use Debian do so because they want to be
able to fiddle about with it, but it'd not be a Universal Operating
System if it didn't cater for those who just want to get going and just
USE it.

> I had been using openSUSE for quite a few years, but the v 12 series
> don't support some of my major computational chemistry software.
>
> I had successfully installed Debian on a separate HD from my
> openSUSE installation and the first problem involves the grub
> menu.list (which no longer exists in grub-pc which is used by
> Debian).  The distributions currently in the splash screen are:
>
> openSUSE  (this is 12.2 resulting from an upgrade of 12.1)
> Advance options for openSUSE
> openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
> Advance options for openSUSE 12.1 (86_64)
> Debian/GNU/Linux (6.0.5)
> Advanced options for Debian/GNU/Linux (6.0.5)
> Debian/GNU/Linux (6.0.4)
> Advanced options for Debian/GNU/Linux (6.0.4)
>
> Now for some reason, even though, I used the Debian 6.0.6 iso DVD
> for the reinstallation of 6.0.5, because of a very stupid attempt on
> my part to change the video drivers to nVidia which resulted in a
> degradation of the monitor resolution and the introduction of a
> really ugly font).  Trial and error showed me that I want to boot
> into the 6.0.4 version (where that version number came from I don't
> have the faintest clue) to get the new installation which has the
> resolution and font that I want.  Of course the default is the first
> entry in the menu list.  So, the first question is (finally) how do
> I change the default order of booting to the one that I want?

Grub2 uses a more complicated configuration than Grub1 did. So much so,
that it's no longer recommended to modify that directly yourself any
more. Instead, the file (grub.cfg) is generated by invoking
"update-grub" which will read: /etc/default/grub (for general
configuration parameters), /etc/grub.d/* (for generating the various
menu entries) and the output of the "os-prober" command (for discovering
other operating systems on your system).

I'm also not sure why you have entries for Debian 6.0.5 and Debian 6.0.4
in your menu, if you have only one Debian install, but it might be
os-prober being over-eager in its detection. If you can live with a
little clutter, the extra entry does you no harm.

Changing the ORDER of booting in Grub2 is difficult, but can be done if
you need it. As an alternative, though, I can offer the ability to
change which menu entry is the default? For that, look in
/etc/default/grub. Change the "GRUB_DEFAULT" entry to the number of the
entry you want to boot by default (bearing in mind that counting starts
from zero).

> Next problem.  After I selected the primary master HD for the new
> installation, the installer only found the one HD and ignored the
> others on the system.  The default fstab is:

[cut]

> Now, if I hadn't been gun shy before about modifying the OS before,
> I certainly am now.
>
> My second question is that I would like comments about how I think
> (dangerous that) I should edit fstab:
>
> The entries that are already there I would leave alone.  I did check
> and there are entries in /dev for the other partitions on the HD's
>
> /dev/sdb1  /sdb1  ext3  defaults  0  2
> /dev/sdc1  /sdc1  ext4  defaults  0  2
> /dev/sdc2  /sdc2  ext4  defaults  0  2
> /dev/sdd1  /sdd1  reiserfs  defaults  0  2
> /dev/sdd2  /sdd2  reiserfs  defaults  0  2
> /dev/sdd5  /sdd5  reiserfs  defaults  0  2
> /dev/sde1  /sde1  ext4  defaults  0  2
> /dev/sde2  /sde2  ext4  defaults  0  2
>
> I'm particularly not sure about the last two entries on each of the
> new lines.

They all look fine to me, assuming that you're happy with the naming of
those mount points. You might want to create, say /opensuse-root,
/opensuse-usr or whatever to make it easier to find things.

You might also want to consider "defaults,noauto" or "defaults,ro" as a
safety measure, if these have other operating systems installed on them.
But it does depend on what you plan to do with them.