Re: Partition Scheme for installing Debian Squeeze

Am 10.10.2012 um 00:41 schrieb Wally Lepore:

I am at the critical point in the installation process known as the
partition set-up. I have chosen 'manual' set-up for the partitions and
have arrived at the part where its asking me to partition the 2nd hard
disk (sdb). I have not advanced through this section therefore I do
not know what questions will arrive next. I don't want to mess this
up. I will be installing debian-squeeze to its own hard disk (sdb) in
a dual boot set-up.

The installer ask you, if you want to keep your Win-installation.

My partition scheme (that I have not set-up yet and based somewhat on
the above link) will be as follows:

1st Partition -- Boot Partition
/boot    -- Type: Primary -- 500MB -- Ext4 journaling file system --
Location: Beginning

Second Partition -- Root Partition
/          -- Type: Logical -- 15000MB -- Ext4 journaling file system
-- Location: Beginning

3rd Partition -- Home Partition
/home  -- Type: Logical -- 60000MB -- Ext4 journaling file system --
Location: Beginning

SWAP Area
Swap   -- Type: Logical -- 2000MB  -- Ext4 journaling file system --
Location: Beginning

If there is no serious reason I always partition swap + / (all in one root)

The experience showed me that overpartitioning is time-consuming later.

It depends on the intended usage of the computer how high is the risk of repartioning later.

E.g. for a development workstation 10 GB for /usr was to small at Debian Sarge times, because of many large packages installed.

Also there was a need to repartition and reinstall my 5 years old netbook (dual boot) to have all in one partition of 60 GB.

If you install on software-RAID, then /boot should have its own partition like this server:

root@xen07:/# df -h
/dev/mapper/vg00-lv_root
                       92G  1.8G   86G   3% /
tmpfs                 3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                  3.5G  172K  3.5G   1% /dev
tmpfs                 3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/md0              472M   42M  407M  10% /boot

This is a XEN-host with 2 x 1 TB disks in RAID-1, with LVM. The virtual machines each have swap + root like this:

root@dev:/# df -h
/dev/xvda2            197G   22G  166G  12% /
tmpfs                1023M     0 1023M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                  988M   32K  988M   1% /dev
tmpfs                1023M  4.0K 1023M   1% /dev/shm

Helmut Wollmersdorfer