Re: Exim4 behaviour when long term failure of outgoing address

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> The domain in question is virginiaparkinson.com [..]

The one you're trying to deliver to (i.e. mynewdomain.com in the original
posting)?

> The virtual machine is a standard squeeze setup with my
> update-exim4.conf.conf

> dc_other_hostnames=''

> (77.96.120.60 is my home ip address where my main mail server sits -
> because this is effectively a dynamic ip address I have to route all
> outgoing mail through a remote smtp server.

You have a mid-term problem here you're going to need to address: that if
your 77 address is dynamic, each time it changes you'll have to update
your VM's dc_relay_nets configuration entry. However, there are better
solutions for this so I'll park it for now. (Use authentication from
your home mail server to your VM.)

> /etc/aliases has
> root: alan.chandler@hartley-consultants.com

That's on the VM?

> and both hartley-consultants.com and virginiaparkinson.com have this
> domain referencing 80.68.94.252 BUT their MX records both point else
> where.

MX defines the delivery target, so that's what's relevant here.

I'll try to reiterate the configuration and let's go from there (offlist
if you like, since this isn't really a Debian issue).

 1. Home server (name unknown, probably irrelevant) forwards email to
    your VM for onward delivery
 2. VM is called avalon.hartley-consultants.com, configured as an
    "Internet" SMTP system using the standard Debian configuration
 3. VM won't deliver to virginiaparkinson.com, but that issue is out of
    scope right now
 4. Failure (bounce) message to root@avalon is being lost - and this is
    the issue at stake

I think I'll stand by my original diagnosis, taht the key line is
the exim4 error message, "remote host address is the local host:
avalon.hartley-consultants.com". Typically this means that exim4 doesn't
know all its possible names. Specifically in your instance, exim4 is
trying to deliver to avalon.hartley-consultants.com, but this resolves
(/etc/hosts, MX, or A) to the local system. The problem is that exim4's
local configuration doesn't include this name as one of the possible
alternative local names (the "Other destinations for which mail is
accepted" question).

Add this hostname using "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and see if that
solves the immediate problem.

Chris