Re: Partition Scheme for installing Debian Squeeze

On 10/10/2012 03:22 AM, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The sizes look sane.
>> 2*ram=swap If your machine hibernates, all the contents of ram goes to swap.
>> 15GB / plenty of space.
>> .5GB Boot partition.  Safe enough, but every 3 months or so, check capacity
>> with df -h as the drive can fill up with old Linux images.
>> The rest for home files makes sense as well.
>
> Hi Wolf,
>
> I have 1 gig of DDR RAM. Thus your suggesting I make the swap 2 gigs?
> I do let my system hibernate. Also, if I set the swap to 2 gigs, then
> the Appendix section 'C3' says,
>
> On some 32-bit architectures (m68k and PowerPC), the maximum size of a
> swap partition is 2GB. That should be enough for nearly any
> installation. However, if your swap requirements are this high, you
> should probably try to spread the swap across different disks (also
> called “spindles”) and, if possible, different SCSI or IDE channels.
> The kernel will balance swap usage between multiple swap partitions,
> giving better performance. -end-
>
> Not sure if this applies to me and my system?

I think having more swap is not a problem. The only problem occurs if
you are going to use this swap because you run out of ram. Then the
system will slow down a lot.

> Not to get 'over-partitioned' here but after reading the appendix
> section titled,
> C.3. Recommended Partitioning Scheme
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs03.html.en
>
> and specifically in Appendix section 'C3' where it says,
>
> "For multi-user systems or systems with lots of disk space, it's best
> to put /usr, /var, /tmp, and /home each on their own partitions
> separate from the / partition." -end-
>
> I'm now thinking I should set something up like this:
>
> /boot
> /
> /usr
> /var
> /home
> /tmp
> Swap

The system I am currently running uses only two partitions: "/" and
Swap. Therefore it should also be ok to put everything on a single
partition or (as you originally planned) to separate "/home" in order to
be able to re-install the system without deleting your user-files.

> The section Appendix 'C3' also says,
>
> "You might need a separate /usr/local partition if you plan to install
> many programs that are not part of the Debian distribution. If your
> machine will be a mail server, you might need to make /var/mail a
> separate partition. Often, putting /tmp on its own partition, for
> instance 20–50MB, is a good idea. If you are setting up a server with
> lots of user accounts, it's generally good to have a separate, large
> /home partition. In general, the partitioning situation varies from
> computer to computer depending on its uses." -end-
>
> Based on the above, can a directory/partition be named  /usr/local  ?
> and  /var/mail ? I thought a directory can have only one name (i.e.
> /usr -or-  /local -or-  /var -or-  /mail).

You can have /var on your "main" partition (which also contains "/") and
mount another partition in the subdirectory "/var/mail".