Re: Exim4 behaviour when long term failure of outgoing address

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> writes:

> Anyone any idea what is happening - and how I can change the
> configuration of exim to tell me when mail, like the above, is being
> refused.

It's rather difficult to figure out what's going on without knowing how
your exim is configured.  Set up a DNS server first, then abandon the
unmaintainable splitfile configuration, copy over the example
configuration from exims examples and adapt it to your needs as a
start. You will then know what is configured and can figure out what
happens.

My guess is that exim doesn't accept incoming messages for
<info@mynewdomain.com> (perhaps because "mynewdomain.com" is not in the
domain list which is used to identify domains for which incoming mails
are to be delivered on the local host) and considers "mynewdomain.com"
as a remote host.  Then it figures out that "mynewdomain.com" is the
same host as "avalon.hartley-consultants.com" (you didn't say if it
accepts incoming mail to be delivered locally for this domain) and
cannot deliver the message for reasons I cannot know from the
information you provided.  I suspect you might have some sort of DNS
issue involved here as well.  What are the MX entries like?

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch