Re: Screen Aspect Ratio

On 04/10/12 06:17 AM, Sthu Deus wrote:
Good time of the day, Stephen.

You wrote:

As a result of my stupidity in attempting to modify the screen
drivers I have managed to change my display into something really
ugly.

The aspect ratio is off and the number of available fonts is really
limited. (I also have OpenSUSE 12.2 on another HD and the screen is
normal, leading me to conclude that the problem lies in Debian)

I have switched to Debian and am wondering what display utilities are
available?  Google hasn't been on any help
If You did some config. modifications by a normal user, then You can
simply move all the user's home dir. content to another place and then
relogin.

If did that under root user, then You have to reconfigure those
services, for example by simple removal of the config.s to safe place
and restart the service, OR using debian package reconfigurator, or
download from Internet its options OR reinstall the package having
purged it previously.

Sthu.
The main X configuration file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you rename this, Debian/X will try to detect your display and adapter.

You can also boot to a root prompt and try X -configure to produce an xorg.conf file to experiment with.

If you are using proprietary drivers, they each have a configuration utility that should help.

Sthu's suggestion of using the purge option with apt-get/aptitude is also worth trying.

And there's the kernel mode setting driver to consider. If it's not set properly, you can get into all kinds of problems.

You will also find a /etc/X11/fonts directory that may have been screwed up. If so, you could try renaming it then re-installing X.