Re: Screen Aspect Ratio

On 10/04/2012 06:17 AM, Sthu Deus wrote:
Good time of the day, Stephen.

You wrote:

As a result of my stupidity in attempting to modify the screen
drivers I have managed to change my display into something really
ugly.

The aspect ratio is off and the number of available fonts is really
limited. (I also have OpenSUSE 12.2 on another HD and the screen is
normal, leading me to conclude that the problem lies in Debian)

I have switched to Debian and am wondering what display utilities are
available?  Google hasn't been on any help

If You did some config. modifications by a normal user, then You can
simply move all the user's home dir. content to another place and then
relogin.

If did that under root user, then You have to reconfigure those
services, for example by simple removal of the config.s to safe place
and restart the service, OR using debian package reconfigurator, or
download from Internet its options OR reinstall the package having
purged it previously.

Sthu.

I think that I have located the problem. The monitor resolution is set at 1280x1024 by Debian. Also there are only four solutions listed in System Settings/Size and Orientation.

I have an OpenSUSE 12.2 installatopn on another hadr drive in the systen and it's resolution is 1680x1050 with eleven additional different resolutions.

I had a screen resolution of 1680x1024 for the Debian desktop before I started trying to change the dcreen drivers. That's what I would like to get back, but don't have any idea how to accomplish this. I did look at the Synaptic Package Manager logs and removed the mistakes that I made and reinstalled the packages I'd removed, but that didn't correct the problem.

I would assume that there may be a configuration file lurking somewhere that has to be edited, but I am leery of making any changes, as I clearly don't know what I'm doing.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.          Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry          Stochastic and multivariate