Re: Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

> Chris Bannister wrote:  (On Oct, 06, 2012)
>
> Debian will coexist with other OS's whereas Windows is a selfish OS and
> wants everything for itself.

That is why I can't afford a single "trip-up" with upsetting windows.
My whole life is on that drive! Sure I have my files backed up but the
applications alone would simply take weeks to reinstall if need be.

> I would ditch Windows completely unless you know you need it because
> you have proprietry software. Although nowadays there is usually a Linux
> alternative. More importantly, is hardware support; make sure Linux will
> work with your hardware.

I understand your suggestion and "eventually" I hope to move in that
direction but -for now- its highly unlikely that I'd be able to make a
100% switch. I am  involved with stock and currency trading and
utilize a whole bunch of applications for this profession. I am also a
musician and likewise utilize "Sonar" as my Digital Audio Workstation
along with a host of other applications to assist in composing music.

I also work with video editing and a host of other photo work. I
understand there are replacements for some (if not all of these)
applications, but the downtime would be enormous and I just can't
afford that right now. Step-by-step (as you already know). Thanks for
the up-lifting spirit. :-)

> I would grab a LiveCD and check the hardware works. At least you can get
> a listing (lspci, et al) for further checks.

Is this the link for the live CD?
http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

I ask because I attempted to install Ubuntu awhile back and their
LiveCd was a snap to find and download but that's a whole other story.
I'm still learning my way around Debian's web site.

> The hardware may require firmware regardless. That is why I suggest you
> get a listing of your hardware, then you can find out if firmware is
> required.

Using the Live CD link above?

Thank you for helping Chris.