Re: Re (5): names for sound devices

peasthope@shaw.ca writes:

> From:	lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
>> Alsa sucks.  It's ridiculously difficult and more or less impossible to
>> configure and to figure out why things don't work.
>
> Compared to Shorewall for example, which is superbly documented
> and works as the documents describe.

On the other hand, alsa seems to work most of the time out of the box.
That is an achievement.

> Sorry to say that the problems with sound alone will deter any casual
> user from considering Debian as an alternative to Windows.

Maybe, if they have them.  Perhaps being presented with choices and
package management is a greater obstacle.  Add to that non-working
things and then ask why anyone would use it.

> P.s., With alsa, was this simple procedure forgotten?
> (1) Write the specifications and documentation.
> (2) Write the software.
> (3) Make sure the implementation is consistent with documents from (1).

Debian has forgotten it with brokenarch.  I wonder what will happen when
people find out that there's no working 32bit support in the next
release.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch