Re: What is the procedure for patching the Debian kernel ?

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 03:02:20 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 21:39:02 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Note that when building a headers package you must run the entire
>> make-kpkg command under fakeroot: you can't use the --rootcmd fakeroot
>> option in this case.
>
> I always run
>
>  make oldconfig
>  make-kpkg clean
>  make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers
>  make-kpkg clean
>  dpkg -i ../linux-image-${KERNEL_UNAME}_${KERNEL_UNAME}-10.00.Custom_*.deb
>  dpkg -i ../linux-headers-${KERNEL_UNAME}_${KERNEL_UNAME}-10.00.Custom_*.deb
>
> by a script. It does work, but I run the script as root, so I guess I
> could remove --rootcmd fakeroot ;), OTOH I suspect I used those lines as
> user, before I build kernels by scripts as root.

Yes, it does work as root, with or without the --rootcmd fakeroot option.  ;-)
And it works as a non-root user too, if you leave off the kernel_headers
target.  But I tested this specific scenario before I wrote what I wrote,
and the --rootcmd fakeroot option does not work with the kernel_headers
target if invoked by a non-root user.  You must leave off the
--rootcmd fakeroot option (to avoid nested invocations of fakeroot) and
run the entire make-kpkg command under fakeroot if you use the kernel_headers
target.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :