Re: What is the procedure for patching the Debian kernel ?

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Xelsior <xelsior24@gmail.com> wrote:

> I been following http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org and
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
>
> I did successfully build an real time kernel on Wheezy using
> "test-patches" but a package update resulted in the breaking of the
> Nvidia DKMS driver build. This may be due to a bug or possibly the way
> I originally built my rt kernel (bug:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=688567 ). By the look
> of it the problem could be due to a conflict between the versions
> "3.2.23-1a~test" and "3.2.23-1", but I could be wrong about that.
>
> I did start to apply the extra patches to the Debian kernel another
> way as test-patches is not recommended if you are making config
> changes (following
> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s4.2.3
> ).
>
> Added patches into linux-3.2.23/debian/patches/bugfix/x86.
>
> Added patch entries to "series" file in linux-3.2.23/debian/patches.
>
> Added "CONFIG_HZ_1000=y" and "CONFIG_HZ=1000" lines to
> linux-3.2.23/debian/config/featureset-rt/config.
>
> Then did "fakeroot debian/rules source".
>
> Then "fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_i386_rt_686-pae"
> (how do I do this with multiple CPU cores?).
>
> However this did not actually patch the correct files in the
> debian/source directory.
>
> What is the procedure to correctly apply my patches (in order to get a
> piece of music hardware working sound/usb)?

I tried once to get "debian/rules ..." to apply a patch and failed so
I just ran the patch manually and then ran "debian/rules ...". I
remember from the documentation that I googled that after you drop a
patch into "debian/patches", you have to do something with quilt. I
remember the howto writer using the term "debianized" or "debian-only"
patch.