Re: Printing to parallel port printer

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:

hi Brian, hi Roger,

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 05:39:46PM +0100, Brian wrote:

>> > Yes, I have previously set up the same printer and it worked this way
>> > :-(
>> >
>> > Maybe something in the kernel changed so that I need to load another
>> > module?
>>
>> I don't think you are missing any modules. parport_pc, lp and ppdev
>> should be sufficient and are all that I have loaded here.
>>
>> The "Add Printer" function gets its information for the parallel port
>> from /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel, Executing that file as root should
>> give a description of the printer attached. With the printer unattached
>> the output is "unknown".

It was recognized:
direct parallel:/dev/lp0 "HP LaserJet 1100" "HP LaserJet 1100 LPT #1" "MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP LaserJet 1100;DES:HP LaserJet 1100 Printer;CMD:MLC,PCL,PJL;CLS:PRINTER;REV:1.1;IO PREFS:ECP18;" ""

> Also: check that the CUPS lp backend is executable.

Thanks for the idea, I found this in the /var/log/cups/error_log:

E [03/Oct/2012:19:16:53 +0200] [CGI] Directory "/usr/lib/cups/backend" has insecure permissions (040777/uid=0/gid=0).

It worked after I adjusted the permissions (which resulted in the
backends being shown on the admin page) and added a symlink from
backend-available to to ../backend/parallel (after doing this I can
select the parallel port printer).

I guess something went wrong during update of the cups packages?

Thank you both very much for your help!
--
Felix Natter