Re: Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid [SOLVED]

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 21:30:02 +0200
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> what you are looking for is in its own package, named, oddly
> enough, nvidia-xconfig.

Thanks for an interesting read, almost philosophical as it were, I see this package
is available for sid however although it will create a fancy
looking /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, more exotic than the one I wrought by hand, this
is not what I needed. I became aware that a necessary package was missing:

linux-headers-amd64

then an extra step of reinstalling the package: nvidia-kernel-dkms

By that re-installation the dkms kernel will, in the presence of the correct
linux-headers, provide the nvidia module, that necessary thing required to use
'nvidia' in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I would not have known this except for Lennart Sorensen who explained it to me.

--
CK