Re: Server upgrade to wheezy failed

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:52:04 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:53:52 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:05:43 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>

>>> Not necessarily helpful to the OP and more for the record for other
>>> upgraders:
>>>
>>> The wheezy release notes recommend:
>>> apt-get upgrade apt-get install linux-image-<version>
>>> apt-get install udev [reboot]
>>> apt-get dist-upgrade
>>>
>>> I'd start by checking what versions of the kernel and udev are
>>> currently installed and running because the squeeze kernel isn't
>>> compatible with the wheezy udev.
>>
>> Yes.  I figured that out.  But I've discovered that at the [reboot]
>> step I managed to misbootd into the squeeze kernel with the wheezy
>> udev, so your analysis is dead on.
>>
>> I had even installed the wheezy kernel (version 3.0.something), but
>> even so, I find myself unable to boot it, as described in another post
>> in this thread.
>>

>>> Can the NIC(s) be brought up and the network enabled manually?
>>
>> I don't know.  It sounds like an idea.  How does one do this?
>
> I see.  I should try ifconfig for this.  Just saying
>
> ifconfig
>
> shows me no interfaces, but that just means they're down.
> I should try ifconfig -a, and it should show me the missing ones.
>
> And then
>
> ifconfig eth0 up ifconfig eth1 up
>
> or whatever they happen to be called should wake them up.
>
> I'll try it next time I get a crack at the server.

And indeed, ifconfig eth0 up and ifconfig eth1 up did the trick.

But it didn't solve the package dependency problems.

Being unable to run the 3.x kernel has probably cause some system-level
packages to remain unconfigured.

Even apt-get -f install didn't help.  It fails on the first package it
tries to install.

-- hendrik