Squeeze boots into my LVM over RAID, but wheezy won't.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:44:16 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> Put /boot on the RAID.
>
> MBR loads GRUB, and GRUB does the rest of the heavy lifting.
>
> Upgrading to Wheezy will go a long way toward making this easier. It's
> in feature freeze, and what's holding up release is finishing the
> installer and assorted housekeeping.  Only bugfixes are being done to
> the packages themselves.

Actually ....

I got it to boot squeeze fine with /boot and / on LVM on RAID.

But when I ungraded to wheezy, just booting has turned into a nightmare.
I can boot wheezy with the squeeze kernel just fine, (except that the
rest of wheeze had trouble working with that kernel), but booting wheezy's
3.x kernel doesn't work.  I'm told the embedding region isn't big enough,
even when I use wheezy's grub (lilo has different terminology, but the
effect is the same).  And it seems to be because it's a cross-disk
scenario (which I take to say the boot disk is not the place the OS is
stored) that it needs more space.  And it considers the RAID to be a
separate disk from the physical disks that it resides on, so even the
dame physical drive is a cross-disk scenario.

I'll be starting another thread about this.

It's been a long while since we needed a separate /boot partition in a
special area on disk because of BIOS limitations.  Now something similar
is coming back, but for different reasons.

It looks as if I've got to find nonRAID space for /boot.

-- hendrik