Re: GRUB problem after clone

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 18:56:43 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > At the GRUB prompt press the 'e' key. Please post what you see. There
>> > will probably be a long UUID. To save some typing put 123 for it.
>>
>> Thanks. Might I was not clean. This is not grub prompt just a GRUB
>> line on the screen. Keys even ctrl-alt-del don't work. I assume this
>> is the output of loader in the boot sector of sda2.
>
> No, you clearly described your situation. It was me who mangled it. I
> think what I wanted to say was the UUID of the partition in grub.cfg
> would not be the same as before the cloning, so the file needs editing.
> blkid would be used to get the new UUID. Alternatively, deleting the
> search line and having the linux line as
>
>    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
>
> might work.

Just for the record. I download the latest Wheezy DVD and try to
recover GRUB under rescue mode. No success still only displaying GRUB
at boot and nothing else.

Then do some more search and found the following page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

As Ubuntu is based on Debian I choose as the recommended way to go.
Then I turn to this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix

Downloaded and use boot repair application to reinstall(?) GRUB on
sda2 and finally my GRUB is working and I was able to load Debian.
Then upgrade my Debian system and because there was GRUB upgrade as
well the upgrade asked me what is the boot system as my device.map is
changed. I select sda2 and upgrade do the rest. So now I am happy
Debian user again on a bigger drive.

Thanks for all of your help.

Bye,