Re: Server upgrade to wheezy failed

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:53:52 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:05:43 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>

>> Not necessarily helpful to the OP and more for the record for other
>> upgraders:
>>
>> The wheezy release notes recommend:
>> apt-get upgrade apt-get install linux-image-<version>
>> apt-get install udev [reboot]
>> apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> I'd start by checking what versions of the kernel and udev are
>> currently installed and running because the squeeze kernel isn't
>> compatible with the wheezy udev.
>
> Yes.  I figured that out.  But I've discovered that at the [reboot] step
> I managed to misbootd into the squeeze kernel with the wheezy udev, so
> your analysis is dead on.
>
> I had even installed the wheezy kernel (version 3.0.something), but even
> so, I find myself unable to boot it, as described in another post in
> this thread.
>

>> Can the NIC(s) be brought up and the network enabled manually?
>
> I don't know.  It sounds like an idea.  How does one do this?

I see.  I should try ifconfig for this.  Just saying

ifconfig

shows me no interfaces, but that just means they're down.
I should try ifconfig -a, and it should show me the missing ones.

And then

ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth1 up

or whatever they happen to be called should wake them up.

I'll try it next time I get a crack at the server.

>>From a recent dmesg output, it looks as if the ethernet cards are
> recognised, but they don't get so far as having devices eth0 or eth1
> created for them.  Details in that same other post.

Actually, reading the dmesg output more carefully, eth0 and eth1 are
mentioned.  So there's a good chance they exist!

This could leave just the boot problem to solve:

> But it's still not clear how to solve the boot problems.  It seems that
> something -- the 'core'? the initrd? the intermediate bootloader stages?
> are too big for the embedding area, also something about a cross-disk
> boot.  The boot drive of this system is *not* the drive the system
> partitions are on.  Evidently a cross-disk boot of squeeze works, bot
> one for wheezy with the new kernel doesn't.  I've tried grub on both
> systems without success.  I've tried lilo on the squeeze system.  The
> only thing still to try is running
>
> lilo -v
>
> on wheezy (still booted with the wrong kernel, of course, until I
> actually get a bootloader to boot the right kernel).

There must be still mor ways to boot.  Perhaps installing into the MBR of
one of the drives that carry the RAID.  But how to get the computer to
boot from it?  Swapping cables and removing the existing IDE drive it now
boots from instead of the SATA drive I'd want it to boot from?

-- hendrik