Re: Server upgrade to wheezy failed

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 28 Sep 2012 at 19:50:22 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>
>> My server upgrade from squeeze to wheezy just failed.  But I'm not
>> panicking, I can still dual-boot into a back-up squeeze partition, and
>> squeeze still works perfectly.
>>
>> I just upgraded my server from squeeze to wheezy.  Lots of packages
>> failed to upgrade because of dependency problems.  Now it's normal to
>> have a few like this in a testing system, as packages leak through from
>> sid, so I wasn't too worried about this -- normally just wait a few days
>> and the missing dependencies show up.
>>
>> But enough are missing that wheezy is not really usable.
>>
>> It fails to recognise any network interfaces.  It used to recognise an
>> eth0, an eth1, and a ppp0, but now ifconfig reports nothing.  Of course,
>> this might not even be the fault of the missing packages.  Maybe udev is
>> wrong.  Yes, I started the upgrade with the kernel and udev.  They should
>> match.
>>
>> I'm not sure where to start looking.
>>
>> apt-get dist-upgrade just reports a lot of unresolved dependencies.  I'm
>> not clear what to do next.  apt-get suggests using apt-get -f install.
>> But which packages do I do this to?  Or do I misunderstand?
>
> The idea is that 'apt-get -f install' by itself should sort out missing
> dependencies for a package. It will first look in /var/cache/apt/archives
> for them and next download from the mirror you are using if they are not
> there. The latter looks like a problem for you if there are no network
> interfaces :). You pobably should look at this first and see what the
> kernel is getting up to. The output of 'dmesg' after booting might help.

Not necessarily helpful to the OP and more for the record for other upgraders:

The wheezy release notes recommend:
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install linux-image-<version>
apt-get install udev
[reboot]
apt-get dist-upgrade

I'd start by checking what versions of the kernel and udev are
currently installed and running because the squeeze kernel isn't
compatible with the wheezy udev.

Can the NIC(s) be brought up and the network enabled manually?