Re: What Version To Install On iMac?

On 09/07/2012 10:56 AM, Gary Dale wrote:

On 07/09/12 08:21 AM, Jon Dowland wrote:

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 02:04:04AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

Interesting statement. Squeeze (6) is still STABLE. After Wheezy (7) is
moved from TESTING to STABLE, Squeeze will be fully supported for at
least 1 year. Thus "deprecated soon" is not accurate, unless your
definition of "soon" means 12 months or more.

Perhaps his definition of "deprecated" doesn't mean "supported"…

The usual definition is "disapproved".

In software, when something is said to be "deprecated", what is usually meant is
"we plan to drop support for this, so you shouldn't use it". (IMO, "disapproved"
doesn't entirely convey that in all cases.)

Sometimes "drop support" means that they'll just stop caring about problems with
the thing, which I think is the sense of "supported" you're using of squeeze.
Sometimes it means that the thing will actually be removed outright - as in
deprecated syntax, or a deprecated feature, or a deprecated command-line option,
et cetera.

Sometimes the planned lack of support is on a precisely defined schedule,
sometimes on a more loosely defined "within the foreseeable future" schedule,
sometimes on an undefined "at some point in the future" lack of schedule.

With the rolling releases of Debian, *every* release except sid (which doesn't
technically get "released") will as I understand matters become unsupported at
some point, so the literal interpretation of that usual sense would be
technically accurate but unhelpful. Still, I think the point is that it would be
smarter to install from wheezy now than to install from squeeze, since wheezy is
effectively all but stable at this point (due to the freeze) and will be
supported for rather longer than squeeze will...

That will be true in the near future when Wheezy becomes the "stable"
release. The approved release is always the current stable. Old stable will
be supported but I wouldn't recommend it for most people.

...which I think, after having written the above, is what you're saying here.

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger