Re: mysql-server 64 bit on a 32 bit lenny

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Roland RoLaNd wrote:
> >> i have 32 bit lenny running. ( i cannot upgrade)
> >> i need to install mysql-server-5.1 amd64 on it.
> >> This system is already running l 64 bit kernel.
> >>
> >> i can't seem to find that package in any current repo so i'm
> >> thinking of force installing it using dpkg but i don't know how to
> >> solve dependencies (especially libraries)
> >
> > I recommend that you learn about chroots.  Then use 'debootstrap' to
> > install a Squeeze chroot on your Lenny system.  Install mysql in the
> > Squeeze chroot.  Run it from there.  That will allow you to have a
> > Stable Squeeze "system" in the chroot with newer production quality
> > code than you can in the host system.
>
> IIUC, he currently has a 64 bit kernel of unstated origin, with 32 bit
> Lenny user space,

Yes.

> and he's unable to upgrade the user space to 64 bit Lenny.

He didn't say he couldn't upgrade to 64-bit.  He said he couldn't
upgrade.  I assumed that meant that he could not upgrade to Squeeze.
Lenny mysql is 5.0 with mysql-server-5.1 and that difference
distracted me.

But you are right.  I didn't connect the dots with his request to get
mysql amd64 running.  I missed that point entirely.  Thanks for
pointing the point out.

> Without more details of that 64 bit kernel, are you sure your advice to
> install a 65 bit Squeeze chroot is salient?

I may have been accidentally okay.  Because if he is running a 64-bit
kernel then it should be possible to run a 64-bit userland in a
chroot.  I am pretty sure that will work okay.  Even from a Lenny
amd64 kernel to a Squeeze amd64 userland.  At the worst it won't work
and his current system won't be damaged.

> The kernel may be the reason he's unable to upgrade user space to 64
> bit, depending on what was/not built into it.

Well...  Normally it isn't possible to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.
Normally that would be a full system reinstall.  However there are
reports of people successfully doing it.[1][2][3]  But it isn't a
normal upgrade.  It is an expert sculpting of artwork in place.

Originally I thought it was some other reason the he could not
upgrade.  I have systems myself that I can't upgrade due to binary
blobs of dynamically loaded lib.o files.

> > Then understand why you cannot upgrade your lenny system.  Identify
> > the parts that don't want to move.  Do the reverse.  Build a Lenny
> > chroot.  Move those problematic components that are holding you back
> > into the Lenny chroot.  That will free you to upgrade your host system
> > to Squeeze and get security upgrades for most of your system.  Then
> > work to remove those Lenny parts that are stuck.
>
> It may be a lot less work to simply provide details about the kernel.
> He may be able to simply replace it and fix the whole thing in one swing
> of the bat.

I don't think knowing more about the kernel will help.  Especially now
that you pointed out the 32-bit userland and wanting a 64-bit mysql.
That seems the critical point.

Bob

[1] http://blog.steve.org.uk/today_i_migrated_from_32_bit_to_64_bit__in_place.html
[2] http://users.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/hobbies/debian_arch_up/index.html