Re: mysql-server 64 bit on a 32 bit lenny

On 9/5/2012 12:11 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Roland RoLaNd wrote:
>> i have 32 bit lenny running. ( i cannot upgrade)
>> i need to install mysql-server-5.1 amd64 on it.
>> This system is already running l 64 bit kernel.
>>
>> i can't seem to find that package in any current repo so i'm
>> thinking of force installing it using dpkg but i don't know how to
>> solve dependencies (especially libraries)
>
> I recommend that you learn about chroots.  Then use 'debootstrap' to
> install a Squeeze chroot on your Lenny system.  Install mysql in the
> Squeeze chroot.  Run it from there.  That will allow you to have a
> Stable Squeeze "system" in the chroot with newer production quality
> code than you can in the host system.

IIUC, he currently has a 64 bit kernel of unstated origin, with 32 bit
Lenny user space, and he's unable to upgrade the user space to 64 bit Lenny.

Without more details of that 64 bit kernel, are you sure your advice to
install a 65 bit Squeeze chroot is salient?  The kernel may be the
reason he's unable to upgrade user space to 64 bit, depending on what
was/not built into it.

> Then understand why you cannot upgrade your lenny system.  Identify
> the parts that don't want to move.  Do the reverse.  Build a Lenny
> chroot.  Move those problematic components that are holding you back
> into the Lenny chroot.  That will free you to upgrade your host system
> to Squeeze and get security upgrades for most of your system.  Then
> work to remove those Lenny parts that are stuck.

It may be a lot less work to simply provide details about the kernel.
He may be able to simply replace it and fix the whole thing in one swing
of the bat.

--
Stan