Re: how to configure contrast buttons on Squeeze laptops ?

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:21:59 +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:

> I've installed Squeeze on 3 different laptops recently : a Dell, a
> Packard Bell and a Toshiba. On the Dell, the contrast buttons work : I
> can press "Fn" + "Up"/"Down" to set the screen contrast level.
>
> On the  others, though, they don't (in addition, on the Toshiba the
> "mute" key doesn't work either).
>
> Where should I look ? Is this related to Xorg ? the video card driver ?
> something else ?

(...)

This usually comes in form of a kernel module (for instance, I can locate
"toshiba_acpi.ko" and "toshiba.ko") which allows acpi events to be
triggered when hitting the corresponding function keys. As you can guess,
the kernel module names vary depending on the manufacturer (there are
modules for HP, Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Dell, etc... notebooks).

In brief, I would check if the kernel modules are loaded in the netbooks
where pressing the brightness key produces no result. Also, review the
dmesg log, maybe there's something hanging there (e.g., "dmesg | grep -i -
e acpi -e toshiba")

Greetings,

--
Camaleón