Re: Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file:

On 2012-09-05 16:50 +0200, Frank McCormick wrote:

>   My Mplayer was configured correctly...but libvdpau1 (which mplayer
> depends on) insisted on looking for an NVidia-related driver, as does
> other software. The bug is in libvdpau1, not mplayer.

Libvdpau will use a dri2 driver instead of NVidia if one is registered,
which should be the case if you have a Radeon or NVidia card and a
recent radeon¹ or nouveau² X driver.  Here is what I see when I run
mplayer:

,----
| Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nouveau.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
| [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
`----

For the missing libvdpau_nouveau.so, see bug #656719.

However, the Intel driver does not register a dri2 driver since it does
not support vdpau.

Cheers,
       Sven

¹ http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/commit/?id=f6f1b4f7789cfef763c063e671b76b60be8bdd8e