Re: need kernel update for lenny ..

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 19:22:50 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Ma, 04 sep 12, 16:11:04, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> 1/ Debian stable branches don't receive new kernel releases from the
>> usual repositories but they can be obtained from backports.
>>
>> 2/ Debian stable branches do receive kernel upgrades in form of
>> security fixes and patches.
>>
>> 3/ That said, you'll never find kernel 3.x branch hitting the security
>> repository for Squeeze.
>
> 4/ The stable kernel for Squeeze has received new hardware support in
> form of backported drivers.

That goes inside the second point :-P

As I see it, "patches" include several things which can be security fixes
or new code that adds feature enhancements (here enters the kernel
modules that support new devices) or solves stability problems.

And this is also true for the rest of the packages (not just the kernel),
as I have understood.

> If my understanding is correct this practice is planned to continue also
> for whezzy.

Of course, and I hope it remains true for the upcoming stable releases.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón