Advice about removing cruft?

In an effort to improve system stability without completely reinstalling, how would someone pick and choose things to trim or remove from a Desktop/Workstation? My favorite and main Linux/Debian machine is flaky right now, and I don't want to commit the time and mental effort to completely nuke from orbit [it's the only way to be sure]. Also, I'd rather not rely on automated tools, especially, but not necessarily only, apt-get autoremove. I realize I haven't given you specifics yet, but I'm looking at where best to start, besides just removing unused packages. Systemic cruft in particular, e.g., daemons or services loaded that are redundant or silly, such as tracker.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark