Re: Advice about removing cruft?

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 16:04:26 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> In an effort to improve system stability without completely
> reinstalling, how would someone pick and choose things to trim or remove
> from a Desktop/Workstation?  My favorite and main Linux/Debian machine
> is flaky right now, and I don't want to commit the time and mental
> effort to completely nuke from orbit [it's the only way to be sure].
> Also, I'd rather not rely on automated tools, especially, but not
> necessarily only, apt-get autoremove.  I realize I haven't given you
> specifics yet, but I'm looking at where best to start, besides just
> removing unused packages.  Systemic cruft in particular, e.g., daemons
> or services loaded that are redundant or silly, such as tracker.
>
> Any ideas?

What's you final goal? I mean, do you want to completely remove GNOME or
do you want to get rid of something in special?

I only know one way for that which is by manually removing the packages
and being specialy careful when it comes to libraries.

But tracker, for instance, can be easily removed with no additional
drawbacks (well, I had to remove one of the gnome-* metapackages but
other than that, uninstallation was done clean and straightforward).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón