Re: keeping track of software changes (Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base)

On Lu, 03 sep 12, 18:57:26, lee wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This is your responsibility as the administrator of your system.
> > There are various methods to do it, it all depends on preferences.
>
> Interesting, which methods are there?

Since you only install select packages from unstable you can (ab)use the
apt preferences file. Don't set any priority for testing (or stable if
you have it in sources.list, don't remember if you do), so they will get
priority 500. Then write something like this in /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1
Explanation: don't auto-install packages from unstable

Package: my-unstable-package
Pin: version 1.2.3
Pin-Priority: 500
Explanation: fixes troubles with setting foo

As long as the priority is the same as testing 'apt-get upgrade' will
pull the version from unstable (because it's higher). Because the pin is
by version and same priority as testing this is basically
fire-and-forget, because:

- a newer package in unstable will not be installed (pin doesn't match)
- a newer package in testing will be installed without interaction
  (higher version)

The above is an untested ideea I just had, so it will probably need some
refining (e.g. I have no ideea what 'apt-get upgrade' will do about a
package's dependencies), but this should get you started.

Kind regards,
Andrei