Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On 09/02/2012 06:24 AM, lee wrote:
>
>> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I picked a few of the to-be-downgraded packages and all of them were from
>>> sid. Do you want to run sid or wheezy?
>>
>> Sid is stable?
>
> No. sid is the permanent name of *un*stable. Current stable is named squeeze.

Ah ok --- I'm bad with remembering names and stopped caring about how
the releases are called a long time ago. It would explain the attempt to
downgrade. I'm surprised that there are so many packages from unstable
installed, though. Yet that will fix itself over time when the packages
now in unstable make it into testing, I guess.

>> I want to run testing and not stable, and shouldn't the packages in testing
>> not be newer than the ones in Sid? And if the packages in testing should be
>> more recent than the ones in stable, then why downgrade them to older
>> versions?
>
> According to my understanding, packages go into sid first, and then get migrated
> from there over to testing after a suitable time.
>
> Thus, the newest packages are always in sid. (Or, in some cases, possibly in
> experimental; I've never quite gotten the exact function of experimental figured
> out.)

Hm I thought they travel from experimental through unstable into
testing. All this doesn't seem to cause the dependency problem with
alsa-base I have now ...

--
Debian testing amd64