Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 19:31:02 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Some packages currently installed may be from unstable or experimental
>>> because I needed more recent versions of them --- IIRC, the mumble
>>> ones are. I would want to keep those until testing catches up.
>>
>> Then this can be the culprit for all your mess unless you had configure
>> apt repositories priorities properly.
>
> What's wrong with it? Aptitude installs packages from testing by default
> and installs packages from unstable or experimental when I tell it to,
> which is what I want.

Nothing wrong "per se" but when using such mixed repositories you have to
carefully watch for what gets installed/updated, from where it comes and
if the update routine is finally doing what you wanted to do. In brief,
you have to be very cautious or your system can badly break.

>>> ,----
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> What the hell is all that bunch of repositories? :-O
>>
>> You need an urgent reorganization for your repos and also reducing the
>> number of them as you have too many defined.
>
> Why?

To avoid your system from trying to downgrade a bunch of core
packages? ;-)

> If I was to remove unstable and experimental, how would I install
> packages from these when needed?

You can't but then you have to know how proceed under this scenario. I
mean, having a complete mix of stable/testing/unstable/experimental and
external repositories is not for beginners: you have to understand in
deep how this works.

> And if I removed Debian multimedia, I would miss a lot of packages.

Sure, such is life :-)

Or you can also "cherry pick" some packages from d-m and then turn off
this repository from your sources.list.

> Perhaps I don't need the security updates because there aren't any for
> testing, but they don't seem to hurt anything.

Security updates is one of the repos I would leave. But I'm afraid I have
a completely point of view than yours about how to use a system, I mean,
I prefer stability over new features and you seem to look for the
opposite. Anyway, if that's your case, I would simply install "sid" and
problem solved :-)

>>> While (unsuccessfully) trying to use more recent NVIDIA drivers
>>> because with the ones from testing the X-session randomly froze, I
>>> added the i386 architecture because that was recommended. I'm not so
>>> sure if that was a good idea ... Fortunately, the freezing problem
>>> seems to have been fixed :)
>>
>> At a high cost, I'd say...
>
> Well, what do you do when your X-session randomly freezes?

Report it? What is for sure is that I'm not going to sacrifice my whole
system stability for a VGA problem.

> You have two choices:

(...)

Or maybe more, but this thread is not about this. I would suggest that
you open a new one if you want to explain these problems in detail or if
you're still concerned about your available options.

> When using the packet management means high cost, what else do you
> suggest to use?

Using the package manager is not the problem here. The problem is mixing
"all" Debian flavours and think this is going to magically work with no
additional tweaks ;-)

>>> BTW, what is the Debian way of specifying different locales for
>>> different users?
>>
>> That will depend on the DE you're on (or if you're on none). There's
>> more info on locales here:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Locale
>
> Given that a little less than 6.5% of the installed packages are not
> from testing, about 93% of the wiki page applies ;)

Why not? You only have to read more sections, that's all :-)

> It doesn't tell me how to set it for individual users, though. I guess
> it needs to go into ~/.bashrc. That may not be enough, I'll have to
> see ...

That's an option. But locale settings are also set by the DE and take
place for every user, so this is another option.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón