Re: upgrading to wheezy: punctual list of issues

El 2012-09-02 a las 02:05 -0300, Dr Beco escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:06:19 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
> >
> >> Today I started the process of upgrading a server from squeeze to
> >> wheezy.
> >
> > You know that wheezy is still "testing", right?
> >

> Hi Camaleón,
>
> I know. I started using it because I needed a kernel feature to my
> notebook (some messages ago, regarding a wireless driver,
> 09:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:008a] rev 34).

Fine, but jumping between versions is a delicated step and has to be
taken seriously (testing cycle if completely different from stable) and
you can also have an updated kernel while keeping the stable branch,
that's why the backports are for :-)

> Before going through you questions, let me tell you that I already
> installed again, from scratch, and everything is fine.

Ah, perfect then.

> > I'm not sure about those steps. I would read the official documents for
> > jumping from stable to testing or sid, instead:
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.1.11
>
> Ok, I also don't recommend what I did. The dist-upgrade was always a
> pain in the head, and it still is.
>
> >> #1 - Grub do not show kernel 3 to boot.
> >
> > What does it show?
>
> I have 2 HD's in this machine. Grub let me boot sdb1 and I could use
> the computer to download an ISO DVD image to start a fresh install.
>
> > (...)
> >
> > So you can still boot with the old kernel?
> >

> Not exactly the old kernel... As I said, I could boot the other HD.

Sorry, I did not follow the full thread O:-)

> Thanks for the attention, but I thought I would be better
> reinstalling, and now everything seems fine.

You're welcome.

Yes, installing from scratch results in a cleaner system with less
problems, that's why I prefer that way.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón