Re: e2fsck errror: Error reading block (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read)

> When I ran
>
> $sudo e2fsck -c -c -f -v /dev/sdb7
>
> I am getting a lot of errors such as
>
> Error reading block 18022401 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
> in short read) while reading inode and block bitmaps.  Ignore error<y>? yes
> Force rewrite<y>? yes
> 3) Is the drive going bad and need to be replaced?

Corresponding entries in /var/log/syslog about the inability to read
sectors from this device would indicate that there is a hardware
problem. Provided that all connections and the power supply are ok, I
would say the device is broken when there are such errors in syslog.

In case there aren't errors in syslog, I would look somewhere else
first.

Are you really still using ext2fs?

Besides, is the device in question an SSD disk connected via USB? Why
would anyone connect an SSD drive via USB? And do you get the same
errors in syslog with an SSD drive as you get with an SATA or SCSI
drive? SSDs don't really have sectors, do they?

--
Debian testing amd64