Re: upgrading to wheezy: punctual list of issues

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:06:19 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:

> Today I started the process of upgrading a server from squeeze to
> wheezy.

You know that wheezy is still "testing", right?

> I did the following procedure:
> 1) changed sources.list renaming all squeeze to wheezy.
> 2) apt-get update
> 3) apt-get upgrade
> 4) apt-get --download-only --dist-upgrade
> 5) apt-get --dist-upgrade

I'm not sure about those steps. I would read the official documents for
jumping from stable to testing or sid, instead:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.1.11

> Now here the problems:
>
> #1 - Grub do not show kernel 3 to boot.

What does it show?

Anyway, you can manually boot it, edit GRUB's menu or allow "os-prober"
to do the job.

> #2 - System boots only to terminal. startx works though.

Check if your login manager is configured to be run at start up.

> #3 - No network, no sound, and other drivers missing.

More information is needed. Is the network card detected, is the module
loaded, are you using ifup or N-M? What are the logs saying, etc...

> I believe correcting #1 will help #3, once the new kernel has more
> drivers. So I ask help mainly about #1, but any tips will be gladly
> accepted.

(...)

So you can still boot with the old kernel?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón