Re: Dual-Monitor help

On 08/29/2012 02:13 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

The Wanderer wrote:

Bob Proulx wrote:

 exec x-session-manager

The 'x-session-manager' is a Debian package specific symlink handle that always points to the currently configured window manager.

Isn't that 'x-window-manager'?

At least, I don't have an 'x-session-manager' on my system (tracking
testing, with a few hints of stable and sid), but I do have
'x-window-manager'.

Well...  I really meant x-session-manager since that is the system default.
x-window-manager is something related but different.  And then there is also
x-terminal-emulator in the complete set.

Okay. It just seemed to me that since there is 'x-window-manager', which
obviously points to the currently configured window manager, it would be odd for
an 'x-session-manager' to also - by your words - point to the currently
configured window manager.

And I don't think I've previously heard of a "session manager" in this context.

Look in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/* for x-session-manager.  On my system:

  $ find /etc/X11/Xsession.d -type f -exec grep -lh x-session-manager {} +
  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/55gnome-session_gnomerc
  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/55awesome-javaworkaround
  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup

On my system:

$ find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ -type f -exec grep -lh x-session-manager {} +
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup

Also,

$ locate x-session-manager

returns no results.

And you can see what x-session-manager is with update-alternatives. Again on
my system:

<snip>

$ update-alternatives --display x-session-manager
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for x-session-manager

Hopefully that explains what is happening.

It does, thanks.

For what it's worth, I'm not surprised by the existence of another "generic
name" for defining such alternatives; it's a useful model, and Debian seems to
have implemented it fairly well, though if it's properly documented I don't know
where to look to find that documentation (aside from e.g. the
update-alternatives man page).

The only thing that surprised me was the claim that x-session-manager points to
the configured window manager, when I already know that x-window-manager does
that, and when I hadn't heard of a "session manager" in this context.

As such, I felt it worth asking the question, just in case that had been a
brainfart on your part. Since it wasn't, oh well, hopefully no harm done.

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger