Re: Reseed Help

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 7:51 AM, <ray@aarden.us> wrote:

> I am trying to implement the preseed information contained on:
> http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/howto/linux/autoinventory.htm
>
> In the section "debian installer preseed file' there is a command
> sequence:
> TARGET="/root/inventory"
> debconf-get-selections --installer >
> $TARGET/$TARGET/list_packages_installer
> debconf-get-selections > $TARGET/list_packages
>
> 1) From the description, it sounds like list_packages_installer can be
> used as a preseed file. How do I tell the installer what the preseed
> file name is or is it the above as a default?
>
> The page states:
> "list_packages_installer will contain the options relevant to the
> debian-installer : the base system configuration. list_packages will be
> more elaborate and contains also the choices you've made during package
> installation. This can be used to re-install packages with the same
> options as on your model. It is not recommended to use these files
> directly as preseed files, but you can use the data in it to populate a
> preseed file with sensible questions and answers."
>
> 2) Does this mean that neither list_packages_installer and
> list_packages should not be used as preseed files? If not, the
> directions say to use the info to populate a preseed file with "sensible
> questions and answers". I was hoping the above would provide an
> installer preseed file, but it seems there is another file necessary? I
> have not found what needs to go in a preseed file so I don't know how to
> use the data in the two files above to make a preseed. Is there a way
> to automatically build a preseed file?
>
> I am looking for a method to reproduce specific builds and define a
> basis for modifications. I would like to use the computer to automate
> these tasks so I don't [continually] make mistakes that I must recover
> from, or at least simplify the recovery process.
>
> How to I build a preseed file from an existing system? This is a new,
> minimal system, just enough to form a basis to build a workstation step
> by recoverable step.

It's best to start from [1] and add the extra installation and
configuration steps that you want based on "debconf-get-selections"
and "debconf-get-selections --installer".

"debconf-get-selections" and "debconf-get-selections --installer" have
unset configurations and have multiple-set configurations.

If you run "debconf-get-selections | grep tzdata", there are various
timezones with blank settings.

I don't have Debian box at hand to look this up exactly, but, AFAIR,
the timezone section of "debconf-get-selections --installer" has a
zone set when countries with multiple timezones.

1. http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/example-preseed.txt