Reseed Help

I am trying to implement the preseed information contained on:
http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/howto/linux/autoinventory.htm

In the section "debian installer preseed file' there is a command
sequence:
  TARGET="/root/inventory"
  debconf-get-selections --installer >
$TARGET/$TARGET/list_packages_installer
  debconf-get-selections > $TARGET/list_packages

1)  From the description, it sounds like list_packages_installer can be
used as a preseed file.  How do I tell the installer what the preseed
file name is or is it the above as a default?

The page states:
"list_packages_installer will contain the options relevant to the
debian-installer : the base system configuration. list_packages will be
more elaborate and contains also the choices you've made during package
installation. This can be used to re-install packages with the same
options as on your model. It is not recommended to use these files
directly as preseed files, but you can use the data in it to populate a
preseed file with sensible questions and answers."

2)  Does this mean that neither list_packages_installer and
list_packages should not be used as preseed files?  If not, the
directions say to use the info to populate a preseed file with "sensible
questions and answers".  I was hoping the above would provide an
installer preseed file, but it seems there is another file necessary?  I
have not found what needs to go in a preseed file so I don't know how to
use the data in the two files above to make a preseed.  Is there a way
to automatically build a preseed file?

I am looking for a method to reproduce specific builds and define a
basis for modifications.  I would like to use the computer to automate
these tasks so I don't [continually] make mistakes that I must recover
from, or at least simplify the recovery process.  I am looking for
automation but it looks like I need understanding first.  I have been
reading about preseeding for three weeks and thought I had an idea.  Now
it looks like I am still missing something.

How to I build a preseed file from an existing system?  This is a new,
minimal system, just enough to form a basis to build a workstation step
by recoverable step.

Thanks,
ray