pulseaudio configuration question

What I ended up doing was to remove pulseaudio and pulseaudio-module-x11
from the machine in order to get things working and then used alsamixer to
unmute many things.  The result for now is that streaming multimedia
works.  My original interest in configuring pulseaudio was to enable a
desktop installation generally and subsequent correct operation of
gnome-orca.  Upon installation of desktop environment using tasksel with
no sighted assistance available to examine screen output I never did
manage to log into gnome since gnome came up silently there were no sound
cues to let me know either the success or failure of gnome loading or that
it was time to log in.  So I went to fall back position and tried
installing orca from command line using the -t switch.  The only server
speech-dispatcher had working was dummy and that kept speaking
continuously until I hit control-c to stop it.  None of the other servers
were expecting themselves to be used, no clue as to which servers just the
statement that they weren't expecting to be used.  So all of that failed.
I moved on in the command line environment and discovered that multimedia
would not work and what I did for it has at least solved that problem.  In
the case of screen reader accessibility, a desktop install using tasksel
or its equivalent install software in the installation will be complete,
but will not be correct.  Probably installation of metapackages will work
better.  Time permitting I will figure out an effective accessibility
desktop install strategy and probably post that on debian-accessibility
for use of others interested in getting this done in future.  One final
note about speech-dispatcher, the dummy message gave me locations for
which to read speechd.log and I checked
/var/log/speech-dispatcher/speechd.log and found an empty directory after
everything was done.  Is priority higher for writing in a $HOME directory
than in the /var/log/speech-dispatcher/ directory and if so why?

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>