Re: [SOLVED] Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?

On 8/26/2012 8:48 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:44:50 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>> Search for GeForce 6150.  That's the integrated GPU.  Wikipedia tells
>> you this.
>
> My mistake.  I thought MCP61 was the chipset name.

It can be a bit confusing I guess.  Here's a pre-release article that
explains the MCP61 family in some detail:

It's not a high end chipset by any means, but more than plenty for any
regular desktop duty.  One of the systems I rebuilt with the Foxconn
MCP61P is running Win7 and is plenty quick with Aero enabled.

> The Wikipedia
> article I found also indicated that MCP61 "... introduced a bug in
> the SATA NCQ implementation.  As a result, Nvidia employees have
> contributed code to disable NCQ operations under Linux."  But I have
> no idea what that means, or whether or not it would be relevant in
> my case.

With some systems and some workloads, NCQ can give a little performance
boost.  NCQ allows a rusty drive to change the order of sector accesses
in order to optimize head seek latency.  With "normal" desktop
application usage you'd never notice a difference w/NCQ vs no NCQ.  I
run an SSD on my MCP61P so lack of NCQ has no impact whatsoever--SSD's
have no moving parts, and all seeks are instantaneous.

>> If you need parts for old systems, you simply can't be Ebay.  Just about
>> anything you could need is available, and usually really cheap.  The
>> older the tech the cheaper.  The opposite is normally true when buying
>> from computer retailers.  In this case the older it is the more they
>> want for it, if they even have it or can get it.  They treat such parts
>> as collectable antique furniture, price wise.
>
> What I meant was that I may buy the new mobo, processor, and RAM
> that you suggested and put it in this second machine I'm talking about.
> But yes, that's true about E-bay (and other sites too).  But the
> key is you simply *must* know *exactly* what you want/need.

Well, sure.

> Retail vendors, such as oempcworld.com, usually have a web site where
> you can identify your system somehow and then they will tell *you*
> what you need (or at least what they recommend).  On E-bay, it's,
> "I have this for sale.  Do you want it or not?"  And often, for me,
> the answer is, "I'm not sure".  If I buy the wrong thing, and that
> has happened before, I'm usually out the money and stuck with something
> I can't use.  The terms are often "all sales final".  I simply am
> not a hardware expert.  I know enough to be dangerous, but not
> always enough to be competent.  That's why I opened this thread
> in the first place.

In this case the solution is as simple as downloading and reading the
manual for your board: http://ph.academicdirect.ro/ISB_SE7500CW2.pdf

The memory specs are on page 17.

> I went ahead and bought that lot of 14 DIMMs from E-bay; but
> without your assurances that it would work in my system, I would
> not have had enough confidence to buy it.  Thanks for your help.

You shouldn't need my assurance.  The advertised specs match those in
the manual.  The seller has a 99.4% rating.  A browse of his Ebay store
indicates that he only sells computer hardware.  Unless he accidentally
ships you the wrong parts then you should be fine.  Also note that at
the bottom of the auction it states these DIMMs are covered by the
seller's 7 day no DOA warranty.  This text takes precedence over the
"Returns" policy in the sale details box top of page which states "no
returns".

Thus, I'd recommend you test all of the modules as soon as you get them.
 You can make 2 sets of 4 of the low profile modules, then test 4 of the
high profile units.  Test the last two units observing the slot
population guidelines in the manual so you're in dual channel mode.  Use
memtest86--don't just assume they work because the box posts.

--
Stan