Re: [SOLVED] Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:44:50 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Search for GeForce 6150.  That's the integrated GPU.  Wikipedia tells
> you this.

My mistake.  I thought MCP61 was the chipset name.  The Wikipedia
article I found also indicated that MCP61 "... introduced a bug in
the SATA NCQ implementation.  As a result, Nvidia employees have
contributed code to disable NCQ operations under Linux."  But I have
no idea what that means, or whether or not it would be relevant in
my case.

> If you need parts for old systems, you simply can't be Ebay.  Just about
> anything you could need is available, and usually really cheap.  The
> older the tech the cheaper.  The opposite is normally true when buying
> from computer retailers.  In this case the older it is the more they
> want for it, if they even have it or can get it.  They treat such parts
> as collectable antique furniture, price wise.

What I meant was that I may buy the new mobo, processor, and RAM
that you suggested and put it in this second machine I'm talking about.
But yes, that's true about E-bay (and other sites too).  But the
key is you simply *must* know *exactly* what you want/need.
Retail vendors, such as oempcworld.com, usually have a web site where
you can identify your system somehow and then they will tell *you*
what you need (or at least what they recommend).  On E-bay, it's,
"I have this for sale.  Do you want it or not?"  And often, for me,
the answer is, "I'm not sure".  If I buy the wrong thing, and that
has happened before, I'm usually out the money and stuck with something
I can't use.  The terms are often "all sales final".  I simply am
not a hardware expert.  I know enough to be dangerous, but not
always enough to be competent.  That's why I opened this thread
in the first place.

I went ahead and bought that lot of 14 DIMMs from E-bay; but
without your assurances that it would work in my system, I would
not have had enough confidence to buy it.  Thanks for your help.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :