Re: is there a way of getting back the original /etc/bind

Tom H wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Gary Kline wrote:
> > > Can someone send me a tarball of the original /etc/bind from my
> > > debian 6.0.5?  my old ubuntu server and otther hardware broke, and
> > > until I can get a new Dell, I want to put back my test [Debian]
> > > computer to its original state.
> >
> > You can do this for yourself.  Backup your existing /etc/bind (and
> > possibly /var/cache/bind) directory.  Then purge bind9.  Then
> > reinstall bind9.
>
> You can also use "apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confmiss"
> --reinstall install <packagename>" after moving the config files to
> another directory rather than purge and re-install.

Almost.  That won't remove any files that were left behind as lint
from something previous.  Any new file will come in again as new.  But
previous files left behind from previous package versions or just
other random files won't be removed.  So it isn't quite the same as a
pristine installation state.

But I agree that it might be plenty good enough! :-)

Bob