Re: is there a way of getting back the original /etc/bind

Gary Kline wrote:
> Can someone send me a tarball of the original /etc/bind from my
> debian 6.0.5?  my old ubuntu server and otther hardware broke, and
> until I can get a new Dell, I want to put back my test [Debian]
> computer to its original state.

You can do this for yourself.  Backup your existing /etc/bind (and
possibly /var/cache/bind) directory.  Then purge bind9.  Then
reinstall bind9.  The purge will delete all files associated with the
package.  Verify this and remove any lint that may be left behind
manually with 'rm'.  The installation will create the /etc/bind
directory fresh and you will have your own original state returned.

If your machine is configured with dhcp then all should work
automatically.  But if configured statically where you set the IP
addresses of your nameservers then after the purge and before the
installation you may need to adjust /etc/resolv.conf to set a
nameserver manually.  I don't know because you didn't say.  But worst
case is that you might or you won't be able to look up names which
would prevent the installation.  In that case adjust the nameserver
line in /etc/resolv.conf and then install bind9.

After installing bind9 again verify the contents of /etc/resolv.conf
are okay.  The 'resolvconf' package is useful for automatically
configuring /etc/resolv.conf from other configuration.

Bob