Re: Virtualbox 64 bit guest option is missing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:21:50 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and guest
> x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a E5200 which
> does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit hosts (which
> typically come with hardware virtualization support), 64-bit guest
> operating systems are always supported regardless of settings, so you
> can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the guest.".

The three listed conditions have to be met :-(

> It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is required for
> 64 bit guests.

I regret to say that yes: for 64-bits guests VirtualBox requires VT-x, it
is more detailed here¹:

"(...) Even though VirtualBox does not always require hardware
virtualization, enabling it is required in the following scenarios:

(...)

- VirtualBox's 64-bit guest support (added with version 2.0) and
multiprocessing (SMP, added with version 3.0) both require hardware
virtualization to be enabled. (This is not much of a limitation since the
vast majority of today's 64-bit and multicore CPUs ship with hardware
virtualization anyway; the exceptions to this rule are e.g. older Intel
Celeron and AMD Opteron CPUs.)"

> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
> there any solution staying at the current CPU?

Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you need a
VT-x enabled micro, yes.

> If I change the CPU am I need to reinstall Virtualbox?

I don't think so.

¹https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html#hwvirt

Greetings,

--