Re: on the way of encrypting a system, need some help please

J. B wrote:
> I have bought a new HDD. Created 2 partitions.
> An un-encrypted 1 GB /boot as a separate partition on the Disk.

One gig for /boot?  I know you are probably planning on using it for a
dropbox but that still seems excessive to me.  If I wanted a dropbox I
would use an additional different filesystem.

> And on the rest (2nd partition) an encrypted LVM with root and home
> as two logical volume on it.

Hmm...  Okay.

> Now I like to migrate my running system, the running "/" to the root
> of logical volume, but /boot ( which is actually a folder in my
> running system) should go to the unencrypted /boot of the new disk.
> and the running "/home" to the home of logical volume. So that I can
> get my running system on the new encrypted disk and can boot from
> there. Obviously I need to modify /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> on the logical volume. How can I proceed ? Any suggestion will be
> life savior.

This is definitely possible.  But it may be one of those questions
that is typical of "if you have to ask then..." you shouldn't do it.
There are a few dozen critical details that need to be correct.  There
are a dozen pitfalls to trap the unwary.  In order to learn how to do
this you would need to learn how to do many things.  And you need to
know how to do all of them all at once before you are able to succeed
at this task.  If you make a mistake anywhere along the way then you
the task fails.  It is very tedious for helpers on mailing lists to
help you through it.  There are so many details.

I suggest instead that you install a fresh system using the
debian-installer upon the new disk drive and use it to guide you
through setting up disk encryption.  There are many documentation
guides to help you through that process .  Then upon the new system
copy the data from your previous system.  That would lead you through
to your goal with the best likelihood of success.

Having said all of that I will also say that you should never let
someone like me talk you out of doing what you want.  If you are
careful you won't hurt anything.  You will learn a lot in the
process.  Go for it!

  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man
  persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore, all
  progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Bob