Re: Wheezy and Sun-Java

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Lou wrote:
>
> The plugin's included in jre and jdk - if you don't see it in about:plugins most likely the symlink to libnpjp2.so has gone missing.
> The debian-way of adding this link is to place an entry called mozilla-javaplugin.so to /etc/alternatives :
>
> sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mozilla-javaplugin.so" "mozilla-javaplugin.so"
> "/usr/lib/jvm/j2sdk1.6-oracle/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so" 3
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config mozilla-javaplugin.so
> choose your weapon there if you got multiple solutions
> after that consider testing java @ http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp - it might complain java 7 is out,
> but you can ignore that until February/2013, just make sure to keep java6 up to date.

Hi there Lou,

Please, how can I update-alternatives for Google Chrome (not Chromium)?

I have this weird situation:
Installed:

(*) java-6-openjdk
(*) java-7-openjdk
(*) sun-java v. 1.7.0.6

# update-alternatives --get-selections | grep plugin
chromium-javaplugin.so         auto
/usr/lib/jvm/j2re1.7-oracle/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
flash-mozilla.so               auto
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
iceweasel-javaplugin.so        auto
/usr/lib/jvm/j2re1.7-oracle/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
mozilla-javaplugin.so          manual
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so

When verifying java with Chrome I get:
A newer version of Java is available
Please click the download button to get the recommended Java for your computer.
Your Java version: Version 7 Update 3

But I don't have this version installed!! :-O

When verifying java with IceWeasel:
Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (1.7.0_06).

Also, I'm trying to give Chrome the update-alternatives way, so I
could test if my banking also accept version 7 of openjdk.

It would be great to simple use something like:

#update-alternatives --config chrome-javaplugin.so

Thanks,
Beco.

PS. I installed java using this procedure:

Downloaded
jre-7u6-linux-x64.tar.gz
from java site

Issued:
$ make-jpkg jre-7u6-linux-x64.tar.gz

That creates:
oracle-j2re1.7_1.7.0+update6_amd64.deb

Then installed with dpkg.

 --
 Dr. Beco
 A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher